Basil Barley Risotto
Recipe by McCalls Catering of San Francisco
1 1⁄2 quart vegetable stock
Course sea salt
Ground pepper to taste
8 tablespoon butter
1 bunch basil, chiffonade
4 tomatoes seedless & diced, skin on
3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup Pearl Barley
2/3 cup dry white wine
1⁄2 cup Finely grated Parmesan Reggiano
1. Heat vegetable stock; set aside.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan, gently sauté shallots until translucent but without browning.
3. Add Barley and stir to coat with butter.
4. Add dry white wine and allow to reduce, stirring continuously. Add hot stock one ladle at a time, stirring constantly. Allow each addition to absorb before adding the next.
5. When Barley is cooked to al dente (usually about 40 to 50 minutes), stir in tomatoes, half of the Parmesan and the remaining butter. Cook 5 min and add basil. Taste for seasoning and adjust.
6. Serve with remaining Parmesan.
7. Note: You may need to add more vegetable stock or water to Barley while its cooking.