Roasted Parsnip Risotto with Sugared Pecans
Recipe by Lynmar Estate Chef David Frakes
8 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup risotto, 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cheese, and 1 tablespoon nuts)
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups 1/2 diced peeled parsnip
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
4 cups fat-free, lower sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1 ounce smoked bacon, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 1/4 cup uncooked Arborio Rice
1/2 cup Chardonnay
2 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Arrange nuts in a single layer on a small pan. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until toasted, stirring twice.
3. Place nuts in a bowl. Drizzle butter over warm nuts; sprinkle with sugar and 1/8th teaspoon pepper. Toss well to coat.
4. Combine parsnip and 1 Tablespoon oil, tossing to coat. Arrange parsnip in a single layer on a small pan.
5. Bake at 400° for 15 mins. or until squash is just tender. Remove from pan; stir in garlic. Set aside.
6. Bring broth and 1⁄2 cup water to a simmer in a saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
7. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon to saucepan; cook 5 minutes or until browned stirring constantly.
8. Add rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
9. Add wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
10. Add broth mixture, 1⁄2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total).
11. Stir in parsnip, thyme, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper. Top with cheese and nuts.