Dave’s Turkey & White Bean Chili
Serves: 8-10 Entrée Portions
Recipe by Lynmar Estate Chef David Frakes
This wonderful chili recipe created by Chef David Frakes for a Lynmar Advocates party, pairs perfectly with our Russian River Valley Pinot Noir. The dish is layered with flavor – the heartiness and texture of the turkey and beef and bacon combined with the acidity of the tomatoes, peppers and balsamic and the finish of the five separate kinds of cheese. Served with a Lynmar Pinot, this a pairing that comforts and fulfills.
Shredded cheddar (preferably sharp & local)
Scallions (sliced super-fine on bias)
6 Slices Thick apple-smoked bacon (cut into ½” pieces)
4 Cloves Garlic (finely minced)
2 Med White, or yellow onions (finely chopped)
1 Lg Red bell pepper, (seeded & cut into ¼” dice)
1 Lg Yellow bell pepper (seeded & cut into ¼” dice)
4 T Chili powder (ancho/New Mexico/pasilla, or all)
1 T Cumin (toasted & ground)
1 t Oregano (preferably fresh, but dried is fine)
1 t Sage (preferably fresh, but dried is fine)
1 T Smoked, or regular paprika
1 lb. 85% lean beef (Ground)
1 lb. Turkey (ground)
1 C Beer (recommended: Mexican dark: Negra Modelo is my favorite)
1 15 oz. White beans (Cannelinni, or navy, drained, and rinsed)
1 24 oz. Tomatoes (crushed)
In a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium-heat until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally. Once the bacon is browned, add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, chili powder(s), cumin, oregano, and smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings are aromatic.
- Add the beef and break it up with a wooden spoon. Once the beef is broken up and beginning to brown, add the turkey.
- Break up with a wooden spoon like the beef, and brown, until no longer pink, roughly 4 minutes.
- Stir in the beer and beans.
- Toss together, then add the crushed and diced tomatoes.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1 ½-2 hours.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt & pepper, if necessary.
- Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, sour cream shredded cheese, and sliced scallions.