Lynmar Popcorn with Blood Orange-Rosé Salt
Recipe by Lynmar Estate Chef David Frakes
1 cup rice bran oil (or non-GMO corn oil)
2 cups organic corn kernels
1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Blood Orange-Rosé Salt (recipe below)
1. Place oil and kernels in a very large stock pot, shake to evenly distribute, then cook over high heat until the popcorn starts to pop.
2. Give pot one more shake, then let the kernels pop away.
3. Remove lid after about 2 minutes, so that you can see how far it has come up the sides.
4. Once it is about 3 seconds between ‘pops’, immediately remove from heat and let sit for one minute to finish popping.
5. Pour popcorn into a clean bus tub (or other very large bowl), making sure to keep an eye open for any kernels that may not have popped completely at bottom. (Discard those.)
6. Drizzle with olive oil and mix in salt to finish.
7. Toss well to combine, then let sit for 10-15 minutes before storing in an airtight container. (This prevents popcorn from ‘steaming’ and
Blood Orange-Rosé Salt
2 cups kosher salt
1 cup Rosé (or Chardonnay)
1⁄2 cup blood orange juice
1. Very ‘lightly’ brush a small parchment-lined sheet pan with olive oil (to prevent salt from sticking to paper).
2. Mix the salt, wine and juice in a small bowl until well combined.
3. Spread salt mixture onto parchment to about 1⁄4” thick and place in the warmest area of the kitchen overnight (or two days depending on
heat) in order to dry back into the salt’s original consistency. Or, alternatively, place in a food dehydrator overnight on appropriate setting.
4. Break the salt brick into small pieces and process in food processor or spice grinder.
5. Use on popcorn or to season fish or vegetables.