Lynmar Popcorn with Gravenstein Apple & Mulberry Salt
Recipe by Lynmar Estate Chef David Frakes
1 cup rice bran oil (or non-GMO corn oil)
2 cups organic corn kernels
1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Gravenstein Apple & Mulberry Salt (recipe below)
1. Place oil and kernels in a very large stock pot, shake to evenly distribute, then cook over high heat until the popcorn starts to pop.
2. Give pot one more shake, then let the kernels pop away.
3. Remove lid after about 2 minutes, so that you can see how far it has come up the sides.
4. Once it is about 3 seconds between ‘pops’, immediately remove from heat and let sit for one minute to finish popping.
5. Pour popcorn into a clean bus tub (or other very large bowl), making sure to keep an eye open for any kernels that may not have popped completely at bottom. (Discard those.)
6. Drizzle with olive oil and mix in salt to finish.
7. Toss well to combine, then let sit for 10-15 minutes before storing in an airtight container. (This prevents popcorn from ‘steaming’ and
Gravenstein Apple & Mulberry Salt
2 cups Kosher Salt
1 1⁄2 cups Gravenstein Apple (peeled, and chopped into 1⁄4-inch pieces)
1⁄2 cups Mulberries (or other berry)
1 cup Chardonnay
1. Mix all ingredients together in a small non-reactive bowl until it is slushy.
2. Spread the mixture out into a thin layer (between 1/8th and 1⁄4” thick) on parchment paper and place into a dehydrator overnight at about 135°F (...or, alternatively: place into an oven that is turned ‘Off’, overnight...the heat of the pilot light should be enough to evaporate the liquid).
3. Once the salt is dried into a ‘hard’ stage again, place in a food processor and process back to a granulated salt stage...Do not grind too much or it will turn into powder.
4. Reserve until ready to use.
5. Sprinkle onto attached popcorn recipe.
6. Drizzle with a high-quality extra-virgin olive oil before serving.