Sausage, Kale & White Bean Soup
Recipe by Lynmar Estate Chef David Frakes
1 C Cannellini (or Navy White Beans)
1 Lg Bunch Kale (preferably Lacinato, rinsed, stemmed and chopped)
1 T Olive Oil
1 Lb Mild Italian Sausage (casing removed and crumbled)
1 C Shallots (chopped)
4 C Chicken Stock (Un-salted)
1 Lg Heirloom Tomato (skinned & cut into 1⁄4 inch dice; OR, 1T Tomato Paste)
To taste Salt & Pepper
A very small pinch Chili Flakes (if desired)
1. Place the cannellini beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse before using.
2. Cook the soaked beans in about 6-8 cups of water, over medium boil, for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Do not drain.
3. Bring a separate pot of salted water to a boil. Add the kale and simmer until kale is bright green and tender, about 2 minutes. Drain in a strainer, and rinse with cool running water. Set aside.
4. Heat olive oil over medium heat in the soup pot. Brown the sausage completely, using a wooden spoon to crumble in pan, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add shallots to pot and cook until soft, about 3 minutes, adding a drop more olive oil if needed. Pour in a splash of chicken stock and scrape up any browned bits of sausage.
5. Return the sausage to the pot along with the beans and their cooking liquid. Stir in the chicken broth. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add the kale, tomatoes (or tomato paste) and cook about 4 minutes longer. Season with salt, pepper & chili flakes to taste.